This was the first sweet dish prepared by me ( as per my moms instrructions) after we shifted to hyderabad . It turned out to be quite yummy.
In Maharashtra, New Year's Day, also called Gudi Padwa. In India, every celebration and festival calls for a special dessert and I decided to make the easiest of them all: kheer.
Kheer is essentially a dessert made from some carb (rice or noodles) cooked in milk and sugar, flavored with some cardamom and saffron. The kheer most commonly made at my moms home was sevayachi kheer. Seviyan is vermicelli, a very thin pasta.
1 cup vermicelli/shevaya
1/2 tsp green cardamon powder
2 litres milk
5-6 saffron strands
slices of pista & almond
2) Put milk to boil and let it reduce to 1½ litres
3) Add boiling milk to sevaiya, then add sugar
4) Bring it to a boil again & reduce to 1 litre. Add milk masala & cardamon powder
5) Chill in the refrigerator for half an hour before serving
1. You can add some milkmaid to the kheer.