Vegetable cutlets are great blend of vegetables and spices. Cutlet is a healthy and tasty snack. This is a quick snack which will take not more than 15-20 minutes to prepare. You can add vegetables like peas, beans etc.When coloured vegetables like carrot and beetroot are added, they give a nice colour and a sweet taste which will attract the kids to eat this healthy snack.
These are great as an appetizer, afternoon/evening snack with tea, or as a side dish with dinner.
2 big potatoes, boiled,
1/4 cup green peas, fresh/frozen (matar)
1/4 cup finely chopped green french beans (farasbi)
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots (gajar)
1/4 cup chopped cabbage (kobi)
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin coriander powder
1/2 cup chopped coriander(kothmir)
3 chopped green chilies,
1 inch ginger,
2 tsp lemon juice or dry mango powder,
2 tbsp cornflour/all purpose flour (maida)
salt and sugar to taste
Oil / ghee for frying
Bread crumbs/fine semolina (rava) for coating,
1.Mash potatoes. Steam all chopped vegetables(except cabbage) in a pressure cooker until tender.
2.Grind chilies and ginger into a fine paste.
3.Drain water from the steamed vegetables. (Use it as a vegetable stock in any curries or rice.) Combine potatoes, chopped vegetables. Add salt, cornflour/all purpose flour (maida), garam masala powder, chili-ginger paste, cumin coriander , coriander leaves, lemon juice and sugar.Mix well with hands.
4.Meanwhile, heat enough oil in a deep frying pan.
5. Apply some oil to your palms to keep the mixture from sticking to your palms.Divide the mixture into balls of desired size, flatten them on your palm and mould them in any desired shape (such as, round, oval ,traingle or heart shape)
6.Make a paste of cornflour/all purpose flour (maida) with some water. Dip each cutlet into the paste letting excess drip off and then dredge it in bread crumbs or fine semolina. (Alternately use beaten eggs instead of flour paste for coating)
7. Deep fry all the cutlets until golden from both the sides. Take care not to burn the cutlets keep gas flame to medium.Alternately you can even shallow fry the cutlets in ghee /oil in order to cut down on calories.
8. Serve with tomato ketchup , green chutney and/or tamarind( imli ) chutney.
Tips and Variations:
1) You can add corn niblets,grated beetroot, chopped cauliflower in this cutlet.
2) Crushed paneer or tofu can be used to give different taste.
3) Add crushed garlic to enhance flavor.
4) If you wish, you can replace chilies with red chili powder.
5) Do not overcrowd the pan while frying or the temperature of oil decreases and the cutlets become soggy.
6) You may use microwave for steaming since it makes steaming faster and helps retain the color and tenderness of vegetables.
7) You can even add finely grind bread slices instead of maida /cornflour for binding while preparing cutlet mixture.