Another interesting recipe from my moms kitchen .
serves 2 people
3/4 cup cauliflower ( gobhi /flower) florets
2 medium sized potatoes
3/4 cup green peas (matar)
1 medium sized onion
2 green chilies
1 tsp chili powder ,
1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
a pinch of asafoetida,
1 teaspoon mustard seeds or cumin seeds,
1 tsp ginger and garlic paste each,
1 tsp garam masala or black maharashtrian masala (kala masala)
3/4 cup kanda khobra vatan/ onion dry coconut paste ( pls click here for recipe of kanda khobra vatan)
salt to taste,
1 tbsp oil,
1. Break cauliflower into medium sized florets. Rinse in warm salt water . Set aside.
2. Chop onions and chilies finely. Chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds or cumin seeds. As the seeds crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder,red chilli powder. Add ginger and garlic paste and fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add chopped chilies and onions.,tomatoes Fry until onions turn golden. Mix kanda khobra vatan & saute till oil separates .
5. Now add potatoes and cauliflower florets,green peas 2 cups water and mix. Cover for 10 minutes or till they turn nice and tender. 6.Add garam masala or black Maharashtrian masala, salt and mix gently taking care not to break the florets.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes without the lid.
6. Lastly turn the heat off and top with coriander leaves. Serve with rice or Chapati
1. For dry version of this curry, do not add water as the vegetables release water while cooking.
2 Add 1 teaspoon each of coriander and cumin powder in step 3.