Being bored of eating regular idli recipes ,I was searching for some new idli recipes when I saw it here
So without wasting much time I tried recipe which was really delicious .I followed the exact recipe
After reading i came to know about kaima idli which is a speciality of Saravana Bhavan restaurant .
For all those wondering about saravan bhavan here is info from wiki :
Hotel Saravana Bhavan (Tamil: ஓட்டல் சரவணபவன்) is the largest vegetarian restaurant chain in the world, founded in 1981 offering south Indian cuisine.
They have more than 20 outlets in Chennai and several outside India including USA, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Singapore, Malaysia, and the Middle East .
Kaima idli is a recipe in which idlis are fried till golden brown & then mixed with capsicum,onion,tomato and other spices till idlis are coated with masala .
You could make use of leftover idlis also for this recipe.The crispy fried idlies soaks up all the masalas .
Best side dish for kaima idli is onion raita or curd.kids will love this recipe
Left Over Idli's: 4
Onion Finely Chopped: 1
TomatoFinely Chopped: 1
Garlic Finely Chopped :5-6
Green Chili Finely Chopped : 1
Green Capsicum finely Chopped : half
Curry Leaves: 10
Oil: 1 Cup (To Deep Fry the Idli's)
Oil: 2 tsp
Chilly Powder: 1/4 tsp [Adjust according to your spice level ]
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Lemon: 1/2 lemon juice
1. Cut the leftover Idli's in small square shape or long stripes as shown in image .Deep Fry Then till golden brown. (i had cut half idli in square & half in long strips .)
2. In a kadhai ,heat oil, add mustard and let it pop. Now add Finely Chopped Garlic pod's and Curry Leaves and Saute.
3. Add the Onion and saute it. next add tomatoes and saute it well, so that it get soft & mixed together with the onion's. add salt, chilli powder,turmeric powder and mix well.
4. Now add the Capsicum and saute them well. add the
5. Add Your Fried Idli's and mix well with the masala's. add coriander leaves.
6. Serve by adding lemon juice over the kaima idli's.
1.Refrigerate idlis before frying this is done to ensure that idlis do not stick to pan while frying.If you have refrigerated the left over idli's, you have to get back those idli's to the room temperature before frying.or else shallow fry the idlis till golden brown.