Misal Pav is certainly not a ‘junk’ food. If made with all the proper ingredients, it’s zesty, healthy, nourishing snack. It's a real fiiler, this is one breakfast you must not miss. There are different types of Misal in Maharashtra like… Kolhapuri Misal, Khandeshi Misal, Puneri Misal, Mamledar Misal, Dahi Misal .
I remember eating mamledar misal in thane at my mausis place.She used to get along this famous mamledar misal parcel in evening & I used to enjoy this along with my cousins.We also used to enjoy misal at gokhale hotel in thane....My mausi used to prepare this misal even at home.Presenting the recipe learnt from her.
Matki (Moth beans) - 1 cup
Chopped onion - 1 medium
Red chilly powder - 1 teaspoon
Goda masala (or garam Masala) - 1 Teaspoon
curry leaves - 5-6
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 Table spoon
Mustard seeds (Rai) - 1/2 tea spoon
Turmeric Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Asafetida powder(hing) - 1 Pinch
For Tarri /Kaat
Sliced onion - 1 medium
Chopped tomato - 1 small
Garlic cloves - 5-6
1/2 tbl spn cumin seeds,
1/2 tbl spn coriander seeds
1/4 tbl spn sesame,
3-4 pepper corns
1.5" cinnamon stick
Ginger - 1 inch
Grated dry coconut - 3 table spoon
Red chilly powder - 1 table spoon
Kala masala (goda masala) powder - 1 tea spoon
Kanda lasun masala - 1 tea spoon (optional)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tea spoon
Sugar - 1/2 tea spoon
Oil - 5 table spoon
Salt to taste
Boiled mashed potato - 2
Farasan - 1 Cup
Thick Sev - 1 Cup
Finely chopped onion - 1 Mediun
Chopped Coriander leaves - 3 table spoon
Lemon - 1
1.Wash Matki and keep it in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of water and .
2. Soak the seeds for about 10 hours. Next drain out water next morning, rinse it with fresh water and again drain it. Now keep it covered in a warm place for 8-10 hrs or else tie it tightly in a smooth cotton cloth for 8- 10 hrs so that the matki will sprout.
3. In a kadai heat oil, put hing, mustard seeds,curry leaves, turmeric powder. Add chopped onion and saute it for two minutes. Add sprouted matki, red chilly powder, goda masala and salt. Pour some water and cook covered with lead till matki gets cooked.Add more water if needed. Usal is ready.
1.Fry onion, coconut, garlic, ginger and tomato in little oil separately till onion & coconut is browned. Cool it for some time. Grind to a fine paste in mixer.
2.Dry roast , sesame,coriander seeeds,black pepper, cumin seeds, cloves and cinammon. keep aside.grind it to powder once they cool.
3.Combine the paste & powder & mix well or grind both in a mixie & keep aside.
4 .Now in another pan, heat oil then add sugar (for the red oily layer on gravy), Turmeric powder,half of red chilli powder and immediately add grinded paste, kala masala , kanda lasun masala (optional) and salt. Saute it for 2 minutes .
Now you will feel nice aroma. Pour 3 cups of hot water so that taste of the gravy will remain same . Bring it to boil for 2 minutes. The Tarri is ready.
5 .Heat 2 tbsp oil once it is hot switch off gas & after 1 minute add remaining red chilli powder & pour this mixture on top of the tarri/cut for the red oily layer
Serving Misal Pav
1. Take a Large Bowl, Add 2 table spoon matki usal, Pour tarri on it. Then add 2 table spoon of farsan, 2 table spoon Sev ,boiled potatoes,1 Table spoon chopped onion, Chopped coriander, a wedge of lemon & fresh curd. Serve it with Pav.
2.But I prefer to give every thing in separate bowls so that every one can mix all the items according to their tastes.
3.Serve misal with pav (bun).
1.Adjust the spices while making tarri/kaat depending on your taste .If you prefer less spicy version simply add chilli powder,kala masala & kandalasun masala to onion coconut paste & you can skip adding ground spices.
2. Replace lemon with dahi( yoghurt).
3. Use normal bread if you dont get pav.