Shankarpali /shankarpalya is a snack popular in Maharashtra . Shankarpali is traditionally
enjoyed during the Diwali festival but you can enjoy it any time of the year . It is also v snack amongst the gujarati communitywhere it is called as "shakarpara". shakkar=sugar.
Sweet Shankarpali is an important dish of Mumbai Diwali Faraal. There are mainly two kind of
Shankarpali is made in two ways : Sweet and Spicy .today we will make sweet version.
1/4 cup Ghee
3/4 cup powdered sugar (pithi sakhar)
1 cup Maida / All-purpose flour
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
1/4 cup milk
A pinch of salt
1 tsp rava (sooji)
Oil or Ghee for deep-frying
Karanji cutter /Pizza cutter /Knife
1. Heat ghee in a pan and heat it till it melts completely. Turn the heat off.
2. Mix maida and powdered sugar ,elaichi powder and pour heated ghee over the flour .With a spoon mix the flour. Next add the milk and knead a stiff dough. [not too thin,
not too stiff.]
3. Keep this dough aside, covered, for about half an hour.
4. Now pour some oil/Ghee into the skillet. Heat the oil.
5..Knead the dough lightly. roll dough into a round ball using your palms. Oil
the rolling board lightly and roll this ball on it into a circle. Do not dust the rolling board with flour .
6. Cut this rolled roti into small squares or diamonds with a knife or a cutting wheel .(shankarpali/karanji cutter)
7. Do not stack the pieces one above other. Separate each cut and deep fry these squares or
diamonds till light brown color.
8. Drain them on a kitchen towel or dish.
9. Once completely cool store them in a dry air tight container .
1.Remember that oil is not too hot while frying as this can burn Shankarpali .They will be dark brown on the outside and uncooked inside.
2. Roll shankarpali little bit thicker